1500m: 4:23

Last Thursday I went to the Los Gatos All-Comers with JR and entered the 1500.

I haven't been running much, but I figured I could do a 5-minute mile without killing myself. My legs felt really empty right before we started, but I guess they always feel like that before a race. Once they fired the gun I just ran a normal race, abandoning plans to hold back.

70, 69, 71, 53 = 4:23

Being out of shape, what I found was that when I got to half way, I felt like I should feel if I'm going to run a significant negative split. At around 800m I was 20m back of the leaders, and they announced over the loudspeaker that the winner of the race would get a free pair of Mizuno shoes. For a second I thought I could actually bust out a big finish and win. But being out of shape, when I went to dig and go faster, I found my legs wouldn't respond. I could just barely hold pace. I was 6th or so.

I felt really pumped afterward. My lungs were burning for a good ten minutes, though. Also, I wore new DS trainers for the race, and I think the unbroken-in shoes bothered my foot some. It doesn't feel really bad now, but it feels like it's regressed some. I think this would have happened without the race because I noticed the different feeling in my foot before racing. I'll wear the shoes around walking for a while to break them in while still running in the old pair.

I took the next couple of days off to rest my foot.

No comments: