Monday, September 21, 2009 (20 minutes)

Yes, my right hamstring still feels a little different than my left one, especially when doing a few certain core exercises at the gym. But if I'm paranoid enough about it, I'm sure I can get my right testicle to feel different than the left one, as well. It's time to run.

After getting a gym membership and finally starting exercising a couple weeks ago, I began to go stir-crazy from lack of running. When I wasn't working out at all, not running wasn't a problem - I simply didn't think about it much. But I couldn't watch hundreds of sweaty people on strange-looking machines for an hour a day without thinking I ought to be outdoors a bit more.

There are a few fields around. There's one artificial surface field like the infield at Oxy, but my access to it is limited so far (I'm still working on getting a card). The other is the baseball diamond. I originally assumed it was off limits, but I saw an old man jogging on the warning track the other day, so I went and ran there tonight. No one yelled at me, so that'll be my de-facto running spot until I get evicted.

My twenty-minute jaunt felt fantastic. I didn't feel out of shape, just rested. I suspect that if I had tried to turn it into a ninety minute jaunt, I'd have learned soon enough what the effect of the layoff has been on my body. But at the moment, I'm simply glad to have put in a nice little jog.

No comments: