November 29 - Dec 2, 2009

Sunday, November 29 (52 minutes in the hills, 30 minute jog)
Went up Strawberry Canyon again with Dennis. I moved out a bit halfway through to get back in time for tutoring, and this felt good. Jogged a little later in the day because 52 minutes felt short.

Monday, November 30 (8 x 600)
Last week I ran into some guys working out on the track, and when they finished I introduced myself and asked what they were training for. They said they were a USATF club here in Berkeley, that they were at the end of a cross country season, and invited me to come train with them. Today was the first day of that.

I ran 8x600 with Luke, a guy who ran one year in high school, was injured for most of it, and came back at the very end to run a 4:27 mile. Holy crap. Then he became a cyclist for a few years, and recently went back to running when the cycling club got suspended. We ran together well today, but I have the feeling that when he gets in shape he'll be way ahead of me. He's planning on trying to walk onto the Cal team next year.

I didn't time the repeats because it was my first track work in a long time. I think the pace was roughly 73's. The rest was absurdly long though. We took a 400 jog between repeats. This was fine for a first workout that simply sends a wake-up call to my body, "Hey, you might want to get ready. I'm going to ask you to pretend a moderately-paced predator with a several minute attention span is chasing me about once a week from here on out for a while now. It'd be nice if you got yourself ready for that."

Tuesday, December 1 (75 minutes)
Jogging on the infield, since the baseball field is closed. Felt a little sore.

Wednesday, December 2 (60 minutes)
Infield. Feeling better than yesterday. Not quite so cold, either. My feet were on the verge of going numb before, but they were okay today.

1 comment:

Sachith said...

Actually that does sound like a pretty good wake up call... I myself have no speed right now, but I don't think I should do anything too fast until track starts. I'm torn between the 800 and the 5000. I know I can't do both of them well. On the one hand I didn't really get any better at the 5k despite training for it. On the other hand, I haven't run my 800 PR since high school, and in fact have only come within 4 seconds of it a mere 2 times. I think doing the 5000 would be better for my XC season, which I like better anyways, but I may feel better about myself crushing my 800 PR. Do you have any advice Mark?