Day 2: Sunnyvale to Watsonville

I headed out around 9am, going south to Los Gatos, then cutting east towards the 101 in hopes of finding a way around the daunting hills ahead of me.

I eventually went over the hills on Hecker Pass, a single climb to 1300 feet. Coming down from there I arrived in Watsonville and got a motel room.

I'm feeling sore and exhausted. I was already feeling irritated and unmotivated by 11:30 this morning, when I stopped to buy some cherries by the side of the road. An hour-long break and some food improved me significantly. I think I have not been eating enough so far

my lower back is okay, but my butt is viciously sore, and my quads are sore, too. I regret not bothering to get into better shape before beginning. I thnk the thing to do now is to take my time, traveling shorter distances for the next few days.

I road 60 or 65 miles today due to my roundabout route, but according to Google maps it is only 90 miles from here to Berkeley. If I try to ride 70 or 80 miles a day for the rest of he trip, I think I could manage, but I'd be thinking just about how tired I am and how far I have to go the entire time. Hopefully with a coupleof shorter days I can adapt to the exerciseand enjoy the trip some more.

Today wasn't especially scenic. Most of the land I passed through was agriultural. I did go through the wine country Shelley tells me was featured in Sideways. I would have stopped at a couple wineries if I were in a better mood. I haven't been to one before. That's the sort of thin I'm talking about with slowing down and enjoying myself some more.

I'm typing these posts out from my iPhone, so there will doubtless be some mistakes I will not bother to correct, and they will be briefer than if I had a keyboard.

No comments: