Day 4: Somewhere south of Big Sur to San Simeon

It's been rough again since my last, semi-euphoric update. After leaving Carmel, I went looking for a campsite 30 miles south. I never found it, and wasn't ready for the long hills in that section of road. I wound up riding maybe 40 miles before stopping because it was too dark to continue safely. I slept on a dirt trail by the side of the road. It was uncomfortable, and I only got a little sleep.

The next morning I was feeling down again. I had a rough 40 miles on the hills still ahead of me. Fortunately I got started early in the morning and there wasn't much traffic, which was especially important since there was a lot of road work going on.

The ride was pretty uneventful. The scenery was nice for the first 40 miles. The remainder of the ride into San Simeon was preety easy riding. I'm very saddle sore again, though, and my lower back is starting to bother me. My legs are pretty much fried. The motel roomseemed to improve my attitude a bunch last time, so I got another one tonight.

I'm matched right up with the guidebook now, and it's directions are easy to follow since there are mile markers by the side of the road and the. Book indicates what mile marker each stop is at. If I simply follow the book from here on out, I'd be at Leo carillo campground, not fAr from LA, in four days. It looks like there is only one more day with the rough hills I've had over the last 24 hours. Tomorrow is an easy day, so after that ill see how I feel and think about a schedule for the rest of the trip.

No comments: