Day 5: San Simeon to Oceano

begnning this mrning, there was a profusiin of bug seemingly inten on ying into my eyeballs, or, from their poit of view, intent on not getting out of the way as my eyeballs smacked into them. Consequetnly, I stopped at Cayucas, 220 miles from LA byroute 1, for some sunglasses, food, water, and pooping. They were all quite satiafactory. The woman who soldme the sunglasses asked where I was going, then wanted to know if I would make it to LA before dark.

I followed the guidebook's suggested route today. It worked well, and I had a nice, easy ride. The wind was mostly at my back. I occassionally saw riders coming the other way, looking like they were working hard, just because the wi d was blasting into them on flat road.

The scenery was pretty dull compared to what I've been trough so far, but I was happy not to be exhAusted all day. Tomorrow is longer And hillier, but it marks a milestone in that it goesover the place where I crashed on my previous attempt to bike the coast. Assuming I survive, I'll have biked the entire way from SF to LA, just not all at once.

I'm staying at a hiker/biker campground tonight, and plan to get an early start tomorrow morning.

No comments: