Sunday May 4, 2008 (1500m 4:05.84, 800m 2:02)

Splits something like 66/2:11/3:16/4:05.84
1500 felt very strange. I wasn't at all used to running in a pack. It didn't feel horribly fast. It did feel surprisingly short. I couldn't understand why everybody around me was breathing so hard, or why they seemed so eager to go to this exact spot on the track right now. I stepped on people's heel several times as I moved up a bit, then got stuck. I realized it's very difficult to move when you want. You have to either be content to sit right where you are, or be prepared to spend a lot of energy moving around, at least when the pack is as tight as it was today.

With 500 to go I realized that I ought to get moving because the leader was starting to get a gap on the pack, and I felt good enough to chase. I had to slow down to get clear, then move all the way to lane three, then sprint down the homestretch to get to the front. By the time I did that, I came up on the leader's shoulder with a lot of momentum going, so I just decided to make a move and see what happened. The announcer called my name as I did, and I felt great for about 150 of the last lap. I thought as I started it that I might run close to 60 seconds. But with 200 to go I started hurting badly, and had to focus to keep from falling apart. A few guys inevitably came past again, and I finished in fifth. The winner seemed happy to have had me make the move and keep things interesting, though, and I'll see him again at Jim Bush.

Considering that I hadn't run 1500 in two years, that I have done only a bit of training for it, that I raced the night before and was tired and sore before the race, and that I still hit an official 1500 PR and came close to my ideal-conditions time trial time, I'd say the race was a success. I think that with another month of training and fresh legs I have good chances for a sub-4:00 performance at Oxy.

Matt ran 3:57.01 in the heat ahead of me despite non-optimal splits, so he's in position to go for a qualifier at Oxy next week.

About two and a half hours later I jumped in the NFTC 800m Carnival. Kangway led and I came through in 60. With 300 to go I moved and tried to keep the pace up. I felt myself slowing down, but maybe with someone right there next to me I could have knocked off another second. 2:02. Ian ran a shockingly-fast 2:04, despite very little training for it. Kangway came in around 2:10 and Chief 2:15 or so. A good time trial, for being basically exhausted before it started. Close to my PR of 2:01.84 from summer '06.

Kangway then redeemed himself with a NFTC record of 24.9 in the 200, and egg pizza was enjoyed by all.

No comments: