Thursday May 8 (speed)

5x500, run as 400 at goal 1500 pace straight into 100m kick at 93% effort, approximately.

20 minute warm-up, then 3x200 cruising to work my way up to speed. Then I started the workout.

I hit 63 for the first 400 on all five repeats, although on numbers 2 and 3 it was a slightly-faster 63 than on numbers 1, 4, 5. The kicks varied a bit. Number one was felt quite strong, although as soon as I started it my legs burned. I was going every 4:00 (300m jog/walk recovery), so recovery time was about double sprinting time. Number two was still a good, quick kick. Three and four were noticeably faster than the 400 that preceded them, but maybe a bit slower than the first two kicks since I was hurting. Number five I made myself kick all-out because I have to learn to do that eventually, and it worked out fine. I didn't feel like I was going super-fast, but I held whatever speed I did work up throughout the entire straightaway.

Afterwards I was pretty toasted. I would have done 4x200, but I felt like I wouldn't be able to run them faster than the pace I had done for the workout, so I just jog/walked three laps of cool down. I did a little core afterwards, but couldn't muster up much effort for it.

I'm happy with the workout. 63 is pretty quick for me, and I was still able to kick off it, completing a total of 2500m worth of work.
Before my 4:03 time trial I did 6x300 in 46 average. This seems superior.

No comments: