Friday, August 8 (65 minutes)

I keep forgetting/putting off updates, but here's at least one for today.

I went to Wilbur in the afternoon. Soon random chance graced me with the opportunity to observe a phenomenon which theory predicts must occur, but empirically happens quite rarely. The buses crossed. There are two free bus shuttle routes around campus drive - one clockwise and one counterclockwise. Mostly I ignore the buses because the bicycle is a much better transportation option. But I do see them from time to time.

Because they're going the same route in opposite directions, they have to cross twice per loop. But if the drivers go the same average speeds, they'll keep crossing at about the same spots.

Apparently, either the drivers have different personalities, or the directions are intrinsically different, or people demand different numbers of stops, or there's a large random component in how long a trip takes, because I finally saw the buses cross today, but then didn't see them cross there again in an hour of running.

When I realized the buses were going to cross, I got really excited. I closed one eye to eliminate my depth perception. Now the buses were headed straight towards each other! Crash inevitable! Bus parts everywhere! Fire and explosions! Then I could run in and start dragging out bodies. When I thought I had saved everyone, there would be one hysterical woman still standing there, pointing and screaming "my baby! my baby!", and I would rush in, save the child, and run back out of the bus carcass just as the fuel tank exploded into a giant ball of flames.

Alas, despite my lack of depth perception the buses passed harmlessly past each other, and I finished the run without incident.

No comments: