Thursday, July 31 (80 minutes mountain)

I was planning on running a mile at the Los Gatos All-Comers meet, but my achilles was bothering me a bit on the warmup. This is probably due to a combination of:

  • hill repeats on Tuesday
  • over-vigorous achilles rehab exercises on Wednesday
  • not doing achilles exercises for a while before then
  • several consecutive days of barefoot running for the first time in a while
  • general lameness
So instead of racing I went back in the mountains. Lenin warmed up with me, but had to turn around to go run the mile. So he gave me garbled, breathless, spanglish directions on where some good places to run were. I ignored them completely.

I ran some big mountain/hill thing, then came down the other side to this mostly-dry damlake, which I tried to circumnavigate. I failed when the trail petered out three quarters around, so I went back around the damlake, back up the mountain/hill, and then up this other bigger mountainhill that was definitely a mountain but the top of it was called "Hilltop Vista". There I met this dude named Alex who run high school cross in the area and showed me the way back to the school and started doing striders while I watched and ate an orange.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are a lot of great hill/mountain runs in the Los Gatos/San Jose/Stanford area, if you are interested (if you're worried about your achilles though, probably not). My favorites:
1. The hilly loop trail past the satellite dishes near Stanford.
2. all the trails off of the Skyline drive and Page Mill Road as it climbs toward Skyline.
3. the trail around Gunn High School (not hilly).

2. is out of reach for you if you have no car, but 1. and 3. can be run from campus.