Saturday, February 28, 2009 (DMR 10:41)

Led off the DMR team of Eichenlaub-C. Smith-Kiesz-Lyon. 1200 is a shockingly short distance. I hadn't run one before, but in retrospect I think I did it about right. I might have gone out harder, but that would probably only have helped if I had some more speed. After consulting a variety of sources, a quorum of onlookers conspired to agree I ran 3:15 (although estimates ranged from 3:12 to 3:18).

I used the race plan that's become pretty much typical for me: go out slowly, move up throughout the race, and have a completely unremarkable finish. (That last part isn't the plan. It's just the fact.) Since I lined up on the far outside of the curve, it seemed pretty natural not to try to fight and elbow for "position" at the start. (What do people want that position so badly for, anyway? So they can be perfectly placed to reach premature exhaustion?) I moved up steadily throughout the race, although I ran one entire curve in lane two that I probably didn't need to (I was passing Anton, but could have waited until the straight). I also put on a really nice little kick from 300 out, but blew my load a little early and had no response when the CMS runner came back past me on the homestretch.

Physically, I'd say the race felt as near to similar to the 400 at the all-comers meet as it's possible for those two distances to feel. There was not really any question of "trying hard", because the race was too short for me to notice it might be difficult. There was some incidental pain, but it's not really possible to suffer without some good full miles to do it in.

The overall pace was about the same as my best 1500/1600 races. I'm happy with that result. It's abundantly obvious to me that I don't have the same kind of speed now that I have had in the past, because when I'm fast 66 feels smooth and natural. I don't even have the same aerobic fitness I've had in the past, either. So 3/4 of a PR mile performance is not too bad.

Chris came out of retirement to run about a 56. Then Matt went somewhere from 2:00 to 2:03 depending on what I ran, retaining only a small portion of whatever food may have been in his stomach. Reed finished us off with a comfortable-looking 4:27 mile for a respectable 10:41.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

10:41 is very respectable - well done!

Ian said...

I thought you ran a really smart race. I think everyone battles for position half because they're excited, and half because that's what their coaches are telling them to do. It can be a little ridiculous to watch sometimes, but at least it's better than the mass hysteria typical of a HS boys 1600.

I'd say you were in 12-15th position a hundred meters in, and had moved up several spots each successive you passed by me. I had a great view of the surge with 300 to go, but couldn't see much of the finish from where I was. Victor ran about 3:12-high, if that helps you estimate your split.

Noah ran 2:02.5. Matt asked me for the split. I think he ran one or two ticks faster than Noah.