Pizza and Sex

CLICK TO ENLARGE



Doing the comic for the Tech is fun. I have to keep reminding myself of that.
The thing is no one reads the Tech. But they do read the comics. So every comic I draw is scrutinized by just about everyone I come into physical contact with on a daily basis.
Being the person who draws the school paper's comic is like being a woman with giant boobs. It's only one (relatively) unimportant thing, but to people who don't know you well it's your most prominent characteristic. There's also the strange mix of simultaneously wanting and not wanting people to look.
Here's the hard part about it - my head is screwed on a bit wrong. That's probably why I can sometimes draw outside the lines a bit and come up with something funny. But the other result is that I occasionally find things to be outright hilarious while everyone else just sort of backs away slowly as I roll around on the ground in peels of uncontrollable laughter.
When I have a possible comic idea, I want to make sure it's funny before I make it. But that's really hard to do. There's obviously no objective test. And the idea will run through my mind fifty times. Sure, maybe "The Pink Panther" is funny, but would Clouseau's antics retain their charm through fifty viewings?
Last week I printed this one:


Which is a pretty funny idea, although I honestly can't tell whether the comic is any good. But then I googled it, and amidst scores of other "the chicken or the egg" comics I found this one (there are many more with the same theme):

So yeah, there's also a pressure to be original. Because even if I didn't see the other comic before I made mine, it still totally outclassed me.
Anyway, I think I'll continue posting comics on here before they're sent to the paper. That way, you can tell me "yes, it's funny" or "no, it's crap" BEFORE 2000 people read it.

Also, the same thing that happened to me just happened to Randall Munroe, although he doesn't know it. The latest XKCD is here:

but a few months ago I did this:



in your face, XKCD (okay, not really. the film projector is far more subtle and ingenius. I'm sorry and XKCD is probably the logical equivalent of God according to some sort of obscure joke about operating systems or such and such)

1 comment:

Garrett said...

"Why I am not a math major" is my personal favorite, if not just for it being basely loosely off my roomate. But it's soooo good.