Saturday, February 16 (3000m 8:43)

John Mering and I lined up next to each other. I knew he had a great cross season despite being a track guy, so I decided to key off him early. The gun went and I pushed hard through the first 30 meters to make sure I wouldn't get buried. I wound up on the first lap exactly where I like to be - right at the very back of the lead pack. No one runs on your shoulder or spikes you there, and you can watch everything that's happening. When the break starts you can slip out to lane two and go, and you have an entire peloton there to break the wind for you.

The pack was about 7 or 8 guys. My time goal for the race was 8:50, but competition was more important. If they had gone out in 69's I'd have backed off, but the went out in 72's instead. I was very pleased that despite not working out on the track much (and when I have, rarely exceeding 5:00 pace) I was already able to feel my pace out to within a second or two.

On the third lap one of the LMU guys (there were a bunch) developed a five meter lead or so. I moved out to lane two on the homestretch, but it was too early and I didn't get anywhere. I had wasted a little energy, but just tucked back in where I had been. Coming around on the fourth lap I heard Ian yelling to me to watch for the move. The LMU guy was 10 meters in front now so I decided the move had already happened. Chris Smith had also broken off the front of the pack to chase. On the homestretch again I went wide, moved with more conviction this time, and came up behind Chris.

This was when I remembered that races are rather difficult, and that my legs were starting to get a little tired. No matter, as I was focused on the race ahead now. Somehow the LMU guy was still ten meters up. I heard 4:41 at the mile. I was lucky to have Scott there. He leaned in and got just a few bits of information through to me against the roar of everyone who decided they needed to cheer right at the start line. I decided to pretty much forget about time and see what I could do with the race.

On the homestretch for the fifth time now, I made yet another move to get past Chris and take after the leader. I was still ten meters back. We came through the 1000m to go mark, where I realized it was now the closing act.

I spent 200m trying to gain ground. I didn't get anywhere. I spent 200m relaxing, pretty much acknowledging I couldn't gain any ground on this guy and he was going to get away from me. But he still had exactly the same lead. With 600 to go I was equivocating, trying to decide whether or not it was worth the pain to kick and try to reel him in.

Suddenly I realized what a stupid question this was, and that it is always, always worth it to go after him. So I did. I started kicking and he got the bell 5 meters in front. I don't think he knew I was there, and he didn't look to be picking it up at all. His shoulders were a bit hunched and his stride was almost laconic. Not enjoying himself. But seeing someone in front of you tired is probably the best motivation you can give a runner.

I caught him with 300 to go, and had such good momentum that I just went for it, hoping to put the issue of who would win the race to bed well before the finish line. With 150 to go I heard Ian yelling "HE'S STILL THERE!", much to my surprise. I heard yelling for John, too, who I had thought was long gone.

I went into the homestretch and kicked one last time. I hate the homestretch. There's really nothing you can do with it. If someone comes up on my should there - oh well. I'm already going as fast as I can. The LMU guy passed me easily with 100 to go, and then with 40 to go John crept up on my peripheral vision as well. He got two strides ahead and I finished third.

72
72
70
68 (moving around the pack)
71
71
66 (chasing the leader)
32 (200m)
8:43

The time was a new North Field Track Club record (and indeed my club was announced over the loudspeakers as North Field Track Club), and 7 seconds better than my goal. I didn't expect to run that time, or to be competitive with the field (which in previous years has been 20 seconds faster), so I was very pleased with the race.

Afterwards I got hugs from just about everyone, except Bettina who turned me down. Ian was a bit reticent, apparently thinking I had come to physically attack him, and I had to assure him I'd run slower than his PR before I could get my hug.

Matt ran a very steady pace (although Scott's splits are a bit suspect since they show him running the last 200 in 40) to get a 9:10 PR, despite his shoe coming untied. He's definitely stronger than ever before.

Sachith got under 10:00 with 9:59, although his pacing is was atrocious (75, 76, 79, 82, 83, 85, 82, 37). He probably ran the first 200 faster than the last.
Garrett also needs dramatic improvement in pacing. His fastest lap was an 80 (the first) and his slowest a 96 (the second-to-last). I'm not sure how you could possibly run the first lap at mile pace by accident. Even in high school I don't think I ever did that. So we've got work to do with those two.

After the race Matt took me on a tour to the botanical gardens just north of campus, although we failed in our mission of getting really really lost.

Later that day Anton and Katherine both had excellent 800's, and some random sprinter asked to join our hodgepodge 4x400 D-team, and ran a 52 to get us to 3:40 (Anton 58, sprinter dude 52, me 57, Sachith 57).

photos