Saturday April 12 (track work)

Before the running events at duals I wanted to get in a workout of 3000, 2000, 1000. My original intent was to run these at 74 pace, 73 pace, and 72 pace respectively, which I figured would be a challenging but manageable workload. It was rather unfortunately hot and dry. Ian suggested I wait until after the meet, but I didn't want to hold everyone up by working out, and besides by that time I expected to be sunburned, tired, and very hungry anyway. I decided to go in the heat and slow the pace to 75's on all of them.

I hit the 3000 in 9:17, which is actually 74's. It was pretty difficult, though, and I felt like I had little to no chance of running 2000 at 73's in the near future. So I called the workout quits because I would rather stop early than run crappy and disheartening times. Besides, I had an excuse! It was hot! That relieves me of all responsibility!

After about ten minutes of jogging on the grass (maybe twenty minutes since finishing the 3000), I realized that I was basically being a giant sissy, that I had just told myself last weekend that the main thing I needed to do to race faster was simply to try harder, and here I was giving up on a key workout just because I felt a little more tired than I had hoped. So eventually I convinced myself to go back to the track, and after a ridiculously-long rest in the neighborhood of 25 minutes, cranked out at 2000 going 5:56 (71's). After that I really was tired, and also had a new excuse in that the meet was about to start. So I got off the track and cooled down secure in the knowledge that I had just done a good job. Good boy, Mark. You almost finished something you started, but not quite. Good boy.

Anyway, I think it was a decent workout, and I'm glad I went back for the fast 2000. After, I took photos andvideos of the meet, some highlights of which included:

No comments: