Tuesday April 8 (speed)

Yeah! Go Mom!

Jumped in to help Matt through his speed session. Didn't really warm up sufficiently before, hence I was too slow on the first 200, but I think the workout went extremely well. Matt did 1000, 700, 500, and I paced the first 600, 400, 300

On the thousand, I took us through 200 splits of 36, 34, 33, then dropped while Matt ran the last lap in 59.

After a good long break I went through 400 of the 700 in 33, 32, then Matt finished 300 in an impressive 43.

For the 500, I led through 250 or so, when Matt came up to pass. I started pushing so he'd have to actually work for it. He came past me and I hung about a meter back kicking about as hard as I could over the last 200. We both finished in 73 (running the last 30 with Julie).

I was certainly glad I didn't have to do that whole workout. My legs were tired coming in off the tempo yesterday, but I don't think I beat myself up too badly. Matt's workout was awesome, closing in some very fast times for his solo portions. He seems a lock for the conference 1500, and those blazing postseason times are in the works, too.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

"a lock" - I hope so! Ramon is the big ???? but I think Matt can beat him whatever he does. I'm really looking forward to that race though. Have the Beavers ever had a SCIAC 1500 champ?

Markkimarkkonnen said...

Ah, yeah. I was thinking Alex wouldn't run it. If he does it'll be a great race to watch.

Ian said...

Ramon probably won't race anything else this season except for the SCIAC steeple. He re-injured his plantar fascia in the Pomona 5k, which is pretty goddamn sad, especially given how psyched and hopeful he was going into this season. Feet are delicate and mysterious creatures.

Speaking of which, I'm babying mine while prepping for the ultimate KELROF record attempt of the decade(s)!!

Ryan, you must, must, must come down and run on this team. The record is close enough to taste, and your storied legs could very well make the difference.

Markkimarkkonnen said...

damn, I was really hoping things would clear up for him and we'd see another SCIAC distance runner going after a national title.

he's so talented though, hopefully in a few years DIII competition will feel the way high school does to us now