Saturday April 26 (a little speed)

Awesome day at the SCIAC champs. Matt and Katherine both had career days - especially Katherine who busted out an incredible 5:02 with huge negative splits, PR'd for 800m over the last 800 of the race, and nearly chased down a nationals qualifier. Matt won the 1500 to get the first conference championship by a Caltech distance runner since Cailin Henderson, I presume. He came back to take third in the 800 behind some strong performances from Jake and Clay as well. The 4x400's both had great days, and my fantasy team kicked some major butt. Unfortunately, Pat had Calderon, making him essentially invincible.

For a run, I went up to the botanical gardens north of Claremont and ran around there until I noticed a golf course off to the side. There was a barbed wire fence but since I cleared 5'10" back in high school I easily jumped it and ran the greens for a while. Then I noticed a track off to the side of the golf course. Since I used to work on a sapper squad back in the trenches of the Western Front I tunneled underneath the golf course fence and did a short workout of 3x300, 4x200.
I hit about 50, 49, 46, then 29, 28, 28, 27. I was feeling pretty tired, probably because it was scorchingly hot and I also hadn't eaten yet (I woke up around noon). I made it back in time to watch the entire meet go down. A good day.

No comments: